Lion Dali

Saturday, October 5, 2019


I will not write about the genius of Salvador Dalí because it would be a repetitive act, nothing enlightening and even completely subjective. However, since I learned about his love story I was trapped, especially for its terrible and unacceptable end.


For those who do not know, Dalí only had one love, a single great love, Gala. She was a 35-year-old Russian when they met, was married to a French poet and had an 11-year-old girl, but none of this mattered to Dalí who, even with 10 years less, could not help feeling a real crush on her.

It was not a well-regarded relationship and many doubted its durability, first because people always doubted Dalí's sexual orientation and secondly because apparently she was a free spirit, somewhat cold, who had no qualms about being unfaithful several times throughout her life. In fact, a diaries of her was found and read: "I don't care if Dalí loves me or not. Personally, I don't love anyone."
In spite of everything, Dalí loved her madly. The Russian was everything to him: "All my passion is in the love I feel for Gala and I have no place for more," he said once to justify why he had no friends.


They were married civilly 5 years after meeting and the signs of love for her continued over the years. Not only did he portrayed her over and over again, but he ended up signing his works under the name "Gala Salvador Dalí", because he said: "By signing my works as Gala-Dalí I do nothing but give name to an existential truth, because I would not exist without my twin Gala. "
24 years after their first marriage, Pope Pius XII granted them a special permission to marry in the Church and then Dalí bought a castle for his beloved, the Castle of Púbol. In that castle they established their residence and Dalí built two tombs to rest his remains and those of his beloved when the time came, kind of a Taj Mahal thing but with a unique and wonderful detail: both tombs had a hole on the sides so that the bodies could remain eternally communicated.


I don't know if they were happy or not but I do know that he always loved her, every day during the 53 years they were together and that when she died he let himself die. He first locked himself in the castle for two years, until a fire forced him to leave and change his residence, and then he decided to stop eating and drinking until he was forced to go to a hospital to save his life.


Up to 6 years passed, I imagine that eternal and insufferable, until finally Dalí was able to reunite with his beloved Gala. However, something unusual happened then: Salvador Dalí was not buried in the Castle of Púbol, along with his love, just as he dreamed but they took him to the Figueras Museum and buried him next to the bathrooms of it, 40 km away from your desired place!

The explanation? The only thing there is is that, according to the director of the above-mentioned museum, Dalí himself had met him 53 days before his death and told him, secretly and without witnesses, that he wanted to be buried in that museum. Full Stop. There is no record that this is so and yet this is what was done. Terrible, isn't it?


Hopefully one day the necessary strings will be pulled so that his body can rest next to that of his beloved Gala forever.
R.I.P





No comments

Post a Comment