So Far yet so Close...

Friday, September 13, 2019


Madagascar is after Toy Story, my favorite animated movie. I specifically like Melman, the giraffe because despite being hypochondriac, vague and hysteric a sweetie is living inside. Friends love is all he needs to face all his weaknesses and demons. It makes me think that despite giraffes look fragile, they all carry the strength to survive well enough.


A giraffe can be fugitive and brave at the same time because there is duality, Ying and Yang. It is not something exclusive to the human being and that makes the world an even more interesting place. Diversity is not an option but an obligation.
Nor is it exclusive to the human being showing some ethical values, such as companionship, fidelity or compassion. In fact, many animals are more ethical than some people. However, at this point, diversity should not fit.

This giraffe asks for respect. She says: "You can be shy or outgoing, clean or dirty, bored or funny you can even be all at once, always or occasionally but please, always be respectful."
A double standard is not acceptable. You should not be respectful depending on or according to the moment we are.
This giraffe is a fugitive but that does not make her a coward and has not made her a
fearful victim. Circumstances do not define us but our ethics do.

I don't know if ethics is something that you have or don't. I don't know if it's something that can be taught. I do not know if it is lost at some time or if it changes in time but I suspect not.

Fernando Savater says: "After so many years studying ethics, I have come to the conclusion that all of it is summed up in three virtues: courage to live, generosity to live together and prudence to survive."

Today I heard a news saying that nowadays, pumas are an endangered species because they are highly valued among hunters, who get to pay up to 30,000 euros for being able to kill them. These hunters lack generosity to live together and there is plenty of ego everywhere.
Maybe after surviving a hunter you become a fugitive but being a fugitive does not prevent you from retaining an ethic. Seeing cruelty face to face does not prevent you from being faithful in the future; Having feared for your life does not force you to be cruel to your neighbor; Looking at the demon's pupil does not make you one, or at least, it shouldn't.



P.S.- No matter the years passed, you will always be part of me. Whatever happens, I will always think of you as the one who showed me colors I didn't even imagine, smells that did not exist before and never again after; You have been the one who taught me how to dance without music, to listen with my heart, to love without limits ...

My circumstances do not define me but having you by my side allowed me to be happy.

So far and so close...



No comments

Post a Comment